Monday, 23 September 2013

Allow me to Introduce Myself

      Hello my name is Caitlyn, and I'm a third year student from Seneca College and I will be attaining a Bachelor's degree in Child Development in my next year. I have started this blog as part of an assignment for a course I am taking called, A Constructivist Approach to Math & Science. I have been asked to create a digital resource that can be accessed and used by other teachers anywhere to provide constructivist curriculum ideas that originate with a "Big Idea" in science. In this blog I will be referring to Ontario's very own Full-Day Early Learning Kindergarten Program so my curriculum ideas will be intended for kindergarten children, but that doesn't mean that teachers wouldn't be able to alter or tweak my ideas for older or even younger children.
You can find this online for free: www.edu.gov.on.ca/eng/curriculum/.../kindergarten_english_june3.pdf

      That being said, I could have created this assignment in a number of ways but I decided to to do a blog because I really don't want this blog just to exist for the sake of getting a good mark in my assignment, I hope that I can actually share my ideas with educators. Even though I understand there can be a lot of constraints in a classroom in terms of time and the structure; I still aim to inspire teachers to open their minds to the idea that constructivist and Reggio Emilia inspired ideas can come into their classroom, and they can still meet the expectations of their own policies and curriculum.

This blog is going to be set up like a Choose-your-own-adventure book, and that's how learning with children should be looked at right? In which the children choose the learning adventure they wish to embark on and the teacher follows and helps to keep the adventure exciting. This is so that teachers can take this big idea that will obviously start in the Science & Technology area, but can also be carried into other learning areas such as language, math and visual arts.

I hope that this blog becomes my foot in the door, into getting my name out there and to helping in the progressive education movement.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Archive